Juliet Funt, CEO of Whitespace at Work, is an advisor to Fortune 500 companies, a tough yet loving guide to thousands of WhiteSpace friends, and a warrior in the battle against reactive busyness.
We are getting less and less comfortable with the PAUSE in our lives. It has become a memory for many of us. The PAUSE is slowing down enough to experience new ideas, fresh thoughts and break-through moments.
- 100% exertion and 0% thoughtfulness.
The challenge is...
1. We are too busy to become less busy.
2. We don't examine the cost.
Whitespace is a strategic pause taken between activities. Great leaders use whitespace. Jack Welch called it: "Looking out of the window time."
Whitespace is NOT
Rather is is a space with no rules, freedom to think the "unthunk" thought.
How do we address the challenge?
Become conscience of the thieves
- drive - over-drive
- excellence - perfection
- information - information overload
- activity - chaotic busyness
Which of these thieves takes me away from effectiveness? Away from needed Whitespace?
We defeat them with these question:
- is there anyting i can let go of? (Drive)
- where is good enough good enough? (Excellence)
- what do I truly need to know (information)
- what deserves my attention? (activity)
For full notes, assessments and training for your team go to whitespacegls.com