Angela Lee Duckworth is an American academic, psychologist and popular science author. She is Christopher H. Browne Distinguished Professor of Psychology at the University of Pennsylvania, where she studies grit and self-control.
Angela started with what may be surprising to many: All of us are ambitious. Every person. Every human wants to excel.
Perseverance and passion are the key factors of GRIT related to one's love for what they do, the work they give their life to. Due to culture or age - GRIT can grow. Defined, GRIT is sustained passion and perseverance especially for the long-term.
GRIT, leading to a life as a successful expert requires...
- Deliberate practice
- It is about setting a stretch goal
- Give 100% with a mentor or coach, doing just a little bit better than before
- Open to feedback
- What's left is to reflect and refine - based on feedback
- Repeat, repeat, repeat
- This is the path to being an Expert
- And it is not fun, it is grueling...
- Increasing GRIT requires:
- Develop your interests before training your weaknesses
- Ask: Can I do just a little more deliberate practice?
- Cultivate purpose: it must benefit other people; I must make the world a better place.
- Requires a growth mindset...intelligence can be developed
What's my GRIT factor? What is yours?