I didn't meet the guy who drives this Jaguar convertible. But he picked up this label somewhere - and then paid to announce it to everyone. At least everyone who sees his ride.
It's interesting - the labels we wear. Some we give to ourselves. Many we take on from someone else.
- Successful. Failure. Incapable. High Capacity.
- Skinny. Fat. Attractive. Ugly.
- Leader. Crowd-follower. Independent. Stubborn.
- Rude. Sweet. Professional. Normal. Real.
I don't know where you picked up the label or labels you most naturally wear - your dad, a teacher, friends, your mama, school mates, work associates, Hollywood - but, you wear it like a license plate slapped on your bumper. It certainly impacts how you see yourself, and how you talk, make decisions and relate to people around you. The label you carry affects how others see you and interact with you. And it says something about how you see your Creator.
You have a choice. "Rude Guy" intentionally paid for and affixed his label for everyone to see.
God says you are...
- a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, God’s special possession (1 Peter 2.9)
- dearly loved children (Ephesians 5.1)
- the salt of the earth (Matthew 5.13)
- he light of the world (Matthew 5.14)
- friends, because I have revealed to you everything I heard from my Father (John 15.15)
- His workmanship, having been created in Christ Jesus for good works that God prepared beforehand so we may do them (Ephesians 2.10)
The question is this: will you live out of someone else's script and label or will you embrace who God says you are?